Same experience was Re: Print Share Length Limit?

ZEN el GUAY zen at uninet.net.id
Tue Jan 25 14:48:30 GMT 2000

> I have found something interesting... When working with NT, it is true that
> if another NT workstation is connected, then it does not matter what the
> length of the share name is (within the 255 character limit), but if a Win9x
> workstation is connected, then yes, there is a 12 character barrier....

===ZEN
I had the same experience with only Win9x connection. I think there is a
limitation of a Windows 9x implementation of what they called Long File Name to
cooperate from different environment other than Windows Family or (maybe) file
system. Win 9x still use the FAT partition, which only support 8 character file
name (an old time DOS), that never recognise a long naming file...

>but,
> if you are using the share level of Win9x to connect another Win9x (this
> works even better when the x's are the same), then you once again defeat
> the 12 character limit, and can use spaces in the share.

===ZEN
Yea, same with me... When Win9x connect to another Win9x, they can recognise
each other long naming file.

ZEN