Print Share Length Limit?

Norman Weathers norman at lithe.uark.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:35:44 GMT 2000

Stephen Waters wrote:

> i'm on a mixed network w/ OSR2, win98, ntws sp 4,5,6a,  and i find that
> i have trouble with any share names (printer or file) over 12 chars. on
> the whole, i suggest making shares 12 or less characters with no spaces.

I have found something interesting... When working with NT, it is true that
if another NT workstation is connected, then it does not matter what the
length of the share name is (within the 255 character limit), but if a Win9x
workstation is connected, then yes, there is a 12 character barrier.... but,
if you are using the share level of Win9x to connect another Win9x (this
works even better when the x's are the same), then you once again defeat
the 12 character limit, and can use spaces in the share.

It seems like MickySoft does do some form of OS level recognition during
network share connection.

> -s

> > > Known program fault with NT I believe.
> >
> > oh.  yes.  it is.  fixed in nt5.

Norman Weathers
Technology Coordinator ETS
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

phone: (501) 575-3553 or (501) 575-4344
email: nweathe at comp.uark.edu or norman at lithe.uark.edu

It is not that I would "prefer to do this without an NT server",
it is just that I would "prefer to do it right".