Print Share Length Limit?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Jan 24 20:18:31 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Gene Yee wrote:

> Understandable to NT4.0 might not handle it very gracefully and error out.
> But NT does support 255 characters in a share name, at least when using a
> actual NT box as a print server.

no it doesn't, even NT to NT.  printing may be different.

>  Anyway to make Samba work with NT4.0 in this way?

hmm, i wonder if NT to NT uses different MSRPC calls or something?  the
onlly way is to obtain a comparative trace and work at it for several
days, maybe a couple of weeks, slowly working through the differences in
netmon traffic until you get it right.

personally, is it worth _my_ time to provide that functionality (unpaid)
when a simple solution is to rename the printer shares?  if there was _no_
alternative solution i might consider it.

thx,

luke