Struggling with RPMs

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Mon Jan 24 13:18:19 GMT 2000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 02:03:31PM +1100, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 01:45 PM 1/24/00 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I find that the files in source/bin called netlogond, samrd, etc, are
> >> simply scripts that look like they build the final thing, and that the
> >> final binaries seem to end up in source/bin/.libs ...
> >>
> >> Is this correct?
> >
> >yes.
> >
> >ask elrond or anyone who has done libtool work before.  the scripts
> >"preload" the library paths for developers to be able to do./bin/smbd etc.
>
> Hmmm, that being the case, where should the final binaries end up, and what
> files do I need to install?

You should not mangle with the binaries in .libs directly.
That's bad and can cause all trouble.

I suggest, you do something like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr (if you want it in /usr)
make
make prefix=/tmp/inst-root/usr BASEDIR=/tmp/inst-root/usr install

The Makefile currently isn't that friendly to
package-builders, I've got to admit. Maybe I'm going to add
"DESTDIR"-support some time in the future.

If you need to install the binaries "by hand", take a look
at the installbin-target in the Makefile, you _realy_
should use libtool to install them in your
package-build-root.

Hope, that helps a bit.

BTW: I don't think, that rpms of TNG currently make any
real sense. But that's me.

    Elrond