status of LDAP support

S. Striker s.striker at striker.nl
Sun Jan 23 16:33:35 GMT 2000

Hi,

> What is recommended if I want to build an PDC LDAP now?

Have you read Luke's warning? You maight want to take this into
consideration if you want to do this:

> some kind person has volunteered to work on an NT5 compatible LDAP schema.
> that means that everyone currently using SAMBA-TNG's "development" schema
> is going to either be left behind or have to convert.
>
> i just wanted to warn you _now_ before code starts to get committed.
>
> luke

> There is no LDAP-support in cvs-main, why?

Sorry, can't help you there :-). Anyone?

> There were some of you talking about mixing main and tng code
> (using smbd and nmbd from main), is that really a good idea?

You only want to do this if you want the latest fileserving code
(from the main branch) and the domain controller code (from the
tng branch). If you want to do NT domain control you will have to
use TNG. You don't have to use smbd main if you can live with a
somewhat older version.

> What about using 2.0.6 for file- und printservice and tng
> as PDC with LDAP for authentication only?

The smbd from the main branch is altered to work with tng. If you
want a mixed environment, you have to use the cvs main version.
I don't know if this is any different if you use tng as a PDC
for authentication only.

Greetings,

Sander Striker