Question Re: NTDOM+LDAP

Kevin Everets flynn at engsoc.queensu.ca
Sat Jan 22 15:13:05 GMT 2000

Grr. We're having a bit of a frustrating time trying to get Samba to
play nicely with LDAP. Following the HowTo at:
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html we got through to trying to
use smbpasswd to populate the passwd database. At this point, though,
we just keep getting the following when attempting to add either a
machine name or a user password:

[root at engsoc lib]# smbpasswd -am WIGGUM -D 255
load_client_codepage: filename /etc/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850
does not exist.
getpwnam(WIGGUM$)
Building passwd hash table
Building passwd hash table for the first time
Found: WIGGUM$:*:504:102:NT Workstation
Account:/home/WIGGUM$:/bin/bash
getpwnam(WIGGUM$)
Found: WIGGUM$:*:504:102:NT Workstation
Account:/home/WIGGUM$:/bin/bash
bind: Inappropriate authentication
pwdb_smb_map_names: NULL
pwdb_smb_map_names: unix NULL nt WIGGUM$ unix 504 nt-1
lookupsmbpwuid: unix uid 504
initialising map
uidtoname(504)
Found: WIGGUM$:*:504:102:NT Workstation
Account:/home/WIGGUM$:/bin/bash
Allocating new RID
bind: Inappropriate authentication
Failed to add entry for user WIGGUM$.
Failed to change password entry for WIGGUM$

We're using the CVS code from 1999-10-15, and can see the database
is working in OpenLdap (1.2.7) by getting back expected results from
ldapsearch commands.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here would be muchly appreciated at
this point.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Everets.