samba-tng, samba-main (Thoughts questions etc.)

Tracey Maru maru at xpr.com
Sat Jan 22 09:17:35 GMT 2000

Well I have been playing with current samba-main and tng for about 2 weeks
now, and have successfully been able to get some stuff working great and
other stuff remains sketchy.  After reading the many pages and list
archives, I am still confused about certain functionality etc.  Please bear
with me as I explain what I have discovered so far.

My first venture was to try the samba-main dist that came packaged with my
linux dist.  Surprisingly enough, I got alot of functionality out of the
box.  All my win9x and winnt workstations were able to join the domain.
Profiles worked great as well as policies placed in the netlogon share.  I
thought I was in good shape and wondered what all the big deal was that I
was reading in the list archives.  The win9x boxes could access shares on
other win9x boxes, the PDC and the winnt boxes without a hitch.  However the
winnt boxes could not access the win9x shares "access denied" error.  After
some thought I fugured out that the reason was the win9x boxes were in
"share security mode"  so I switched them to user security, rebooted and
went to reshare the directories.  Now there was a dialog where you could
pick which users.  This list responded "list of users not currently
available".  This is when I realized that I must neeed the TNG code.  (That
and to set domain administrators etc.)

Now I had read things about using the nmbd and smbd from main with the make
install from tng, but decided I was an experimental kind of guy and would go
with a full tng system.  I got the latest from CVS, rebuilt , removed all
workstations from the domain, rebooted PDC with new sambatng and tried to
join  the domain.  The Win9x boxes this time went right on and were able to
retrieve lists of users for access control to shares from the PDC, this was
obviously a plus!  However now myt NT boxes refused to join the domain .  I
tried everything removed trust accounts and recreated, etc.  Nothing.
Finally I got frustrated and decided to try tng with smbd and nmbd from
main.  I wiped everything and started agin with latest cvs for main and tng.
got everything up and tried my NT box.  Finally it joined the domain and all
was happy.  Until I went to one of my 9x boxesx rebooted, now the 9x boxes
couldnt join the domain.

So long story short I am back with samba-main and limited functionality for
now.  Is this how it is for others or am I missing something big???  Each
time I startedwith a fresh smbpasswd and added trust accounts etc.
following all the helpfull info out there.