Machine accounts?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jan 20 08:59:11 GMT 2000

At 04:54 PM 1/21/00 +1100, Steve Frampton wrote:

>- - Can a domain name not be the same as the machine name?  I had set up my
>system as "TokyoTest" and my NT domain/workgroup as "TokyoTest" and
>scratched my head for hours, wondering why nothing was working.  I then
>happened to try it with a different workgroup name, and it worked fine.

The machine name and the domain name are NetBIOS names.  There can only be
one instance of a NetBIOS name in the network, and the machine name will be
registered first, when Samba comes up, I think.  Certainly, that will be
the case with Windows ...

If you do 'nmblookup -S <domain>' you will find that <domain> is registered
as a group name of type <00>.  Thus you cannot have both a machine name and
a domain name with the same name!

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course