[SAMBA-TNG] using and createing libsmb and libmsrpc

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Wed Jan 19 18:23:29 GMT 2000

	Basically he's talking about different ways of handling binary
compatibility across library versions.  Among them, either keeping a
consistent API, or using opaque structures, and passing the size/desired
size to all functions that work with them.

> is ./ in the lib path?  because that's what i expect, for now: libraries
> to be loaded from the cwd, at least until the libraries stabilise.

	This is dependent on the system configuration, but the library
search path (much like the executable search path) should not normally
include ./, for security reasons.

	The LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (on amost all POSIX systems
I'm aware of) specifies the shared library search path -- appending the
installation directory to it from a wrapper shell script is the normal way
of dealing with this.  (c.f. Mozilla, et al)

> btw, _yes_ i intend to to a total replacement of the libsmrpc code, with
> function parameter arguments EXACTLY the same as the MSDN.  this will be
> about.........hmmm.... four to six weeks' work.

	What specific benefits are there to duplicating that hideous
interface?  I mean, seriously?