[SAMBA-TNG] using and createing libsmb and libmsrpc

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Wed Jan 19 16:36:42 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 03:01:19AM +1100, Mayers, P J wrote:

> > If any internal working in the library is changed (and I'm
> > planing to take a deep look at the memory-handling in
> > rpc_parse/*.c), you have to update all your binaries in
> > your installation.
>
> If you linked statically, yes.

No. If inner workings in the library change, the programs
must also change, and you can't have half of the programs
depend on the old working and half on the new.

If you've ever read docs on shared-lib-versioning, you
know, what I mean.

> > And I for example like to have a more older, but known to
> > work, version on my production machines, but a recent
> > rpcclient too.
>
> So link rpcclient statically... What's the problem here?

_I_ don't have a problem here, cause I know how to handle
shared libraries. I'm just seeing possible problems out
there.

Maybe I'm seeing probs, where are none.

> In any case, I think it's a good idea.

Yes, it makes some things easier and saves some memory.

> Cheers,
> Phil

    Elrond