[SAMBA-TNG] using and createing libsmb and libmsrpc

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Wed Jan 19 15:24:08 GMT 2000

Okay,

at first I thought, this might be a good idea, but I hope,
you (and the users) see the side-effects:

If any internal working in the library is changed (and I'm
planing to take a deep look at the memory-handling in
rpc_parse/*.c), you have to update all your binaries in
your installation.

And I for example like to have a more older, but known to
work, version on my production machines, but a recent
rpcclient too.

If people tend to do that without knowing about shared
libs, they can get quite messy errors.
Of course, "it's all their fault."

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 11:31:18AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ok, i decided to go ahead with this.  if you can't compile and you _can_
> program, please have a look at adding autoconf support for .a, using cvs
> main's autoconf as a base for ideas.
>
> thx!

Maybe I'm going to look at libtool.

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > i have a question for you all.
> >
> > is it ok if i create a dynamic library, libsmb.so and libmsrpc.so?
> >
> > if i do, could someone please submit mods to be able to create a libsmb.a
> > and libmsrpc.a (static libraries), first examining cvs main's configure.in
> > and Makefile.in?

    Elrond