Authentication Questions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jan 19 00:49:21 GMT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, G. Naik wrote:

> I understand that tradeoff. I will apply the plain-text password
> reg files to my NT workstations.
>
> However, I need to use either PAM or
> KRB5
> for authentication.  What my question is, whether SAMBA_TNG, does support
> those authentication mechanisms,

yes

> while functioning as a PDC.

no.  once you switch over to "encrypt passwords = no", you are effectively
disabling samba as a PDC.  this is due to protocol limitations at the SMB
level, so _no_ version of samba can be a PDC with "ep=no".

>  And...where
> can I find some documentation on how to configure SAMBA_TNG to use PAM or
> KRB5.

absolutely no idea, it should be the same as 1.9.18 or maybe 2.0.0, that's
the last time some of that code was updated.

luke