Latest snapshot report

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Jan 18 22:23:25 GMT 2000

actually, elrond, we were thinking of locking down var/locks so that it is
no longer world-readable, because it is being used to contain various
databases that should not be accessed by anyone other than root / samba.

*click*  of course: browse.dat is stored in var/locks, and that is
accessed by smbd as anonymous user.

so for now, var/locks should be +rx for everyone.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Elrond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 03:36:03AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Lonnie J. Borntreger wrote:
> [...]
> > > - WEIRD -
> > > * I saw Luke's mail about the locks directory should be set to 0700.  Did
> > > that and the network neighborhood disappears.  Reset it to 0755, and the NN
> > > reappears.
>
> I guess, you've mixed something up here.
>
> If your samba is in /usr/local/samba, then
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks may be +rx for everyone. (and I
> think, it should.)
>
> But this directory contains another directory ".msrpc",
> which in turn should be 0700.
>

>     Elrond

 ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals