Samba 2.06 and Squid Nameresolving problems?

Daniel Sandmeier Daniel.Sandmeier at HWK-DO.DE
Tue Jan 18 14:43:52 GMT 2000

Hi, we've got a slight problem, since I set up a Samba 2.06 (for using
HylaFax)
We use the LinuxBox as an Internet Proxy using Squid. Since we installed
Samba and HylaFax we often have problems, that the Squid can't resolve
the IPAdresses from the hostnames. We then have to restart Squid, so
that it rebuilds it's chache. Than it works again for about a day, but
the error occurs again.

Does anyone have had a similar problem using Samba+HylaFax and Squid?

Perhaps something is wrong with our smb.conf?

We are quite new with Linux and Samba and all this
stuff.............(don't hurt me, we got a preconfigured
LinuxBox).......so we are not quite sure in wich logfiles to look, to
find evidence for either squid or Samba+Hylafax are guilty.

P.S.: Please excuse my bad accent........English isn't my native
language!

Yours Sandos187

# Samba config file created using SWAT
   # from LINUX-SERVER.HWK-DO.DE (192.168.0.228)
   # Date: 2000/01/18 15:27:24

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = HWK
           netbios name = LINUX-SERVER
           server string = HWK FAX-Server
           interfaces = 192.168.0.228/24
           security = DOMAIN
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           update encrypted = Yes
           hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv
           map to guest = Bad Password
           null passwords = Yes
           password server = HWK01 HWK02 SMSSRV
           password level = 4
           username level = 4
           log level = 3
           syslog = 0
           log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
           keepalive = 0
           socket options = TCP_NODELAY
           add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u -g users
           delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
           logon path =
           logon home =
           domain logons = Yes
           local master = No
           dns proxy = No
           wins server = 192.168.0.221
           kernel oplocks = No
           remote announce = 192.168.0.221
           socket address = 192.168.0.228
           force user = cu
           read only = No
           security mask = 0744
           force security mode = 00
           force directory security mode = 00
           guest ok = Yes

   [fax]
           comment = Fax
           path = /var/spool/samba/fax
           print ok = Yes
           postscript = Yes
           print command = ( /usr/bin/printfax.pl %I %s %U %m; rm %s ) &

           printer driver = HP LaserJet 4ML PostScript

   [faxsoftware]
           comment = Test
           path = /var/spool/fax/winsoft