can't see computers in net neighborhood

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Jan 18 05:06:19 GMT 2000

john, it doesn't look like you're using a wins server, is this on a LAN or
a single subnet?

also, remove everything but TCP/IP on all win9x hosts, if you use "i wanna
run netbios over stupid-ipx" or "i wanna do netbeui" then you will a) slow
your network down b) pollute your network c) slow down access from win9x
hosts to other computers d) all of the previous.

> [globals]
> workgroup = workgroup
> netbios name = Hildegarde
> server string = SMB PDC using Samba %v
> security = user
> password level = 4
> os level = 65
> encrypt passwords = Yes
> smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
> domain logons = Yes
> logon script = logon.bat
> logon home = \\%N\%U
> logon drive = H:
> logon path = \\%N\profile\%U
> log file = /var/log/log.%m
> local master = Yes
> domain master = Yes
> # uncomment if you want Hildegarde to resolve netbios names
> preferred master = Yes
> case sensitive = No
> default case = lower
> preserve case = Yes
> short preserve case = No
> guest account = guest
> wins support = No
> # uncomment if you want the use lmhosts as main name resolve file.
> # name resolve order = lmhosts hosts
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories, limit of 1 GB
> path = /home/%U
> read only = No
> browseable = No
>
> [netlogon]
> comment = Network Logon Service
> path = /home/netlogon
> locking = No
> guest ok = No
> browseable = Yes
> writeable = No
>
> [Profile]
> comment = Directory to hold Windows User Profiles
> path = /home/profile
> browseable = Yes
> writeable = Yes
> create mode = 0600
> directory mode = 0770
>
> [tape]
> comment = only 150MB may be stored in this share
> path = /usr/tape
> read only = No
> guest ok = Yes
> available = Yes
> browseable = Yes
>
> [tmp]
> comment = Temporary file space
> path = /tmp
> read only = No
> hosts allow = 192.168.0.4
>
> thank you for all your help, everything volded is info I think could pertain to my problem.
>
> John F. Scipione
> random samba guy
> jscipio at rochester.rr.com

 ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals