NT Aliases

Michael Stockman pgmtekn-micke at algonet.se
Mon Jan 17 23:16:46 GMT 2000

Hello,

Could someone who knows NT please tell me what an alias is? I have
tried to find some information on the internet, but so far with only
modest luck.

My theories:
1. An alias is just another name for a user or group. It has got the
same SID.
2. An alias is another name for a user or group. It has a different
SID, but the user settings are shared.
3. An alias is a completely independent user or group. It has both
different SID and different user settings. This would be consistent
with someplace where I read that a alias is a local user on a domain
server.

Does anyone know on which kind of NT machines aliases can be created
(domain servers, stand alone servers, workstations etc.)? Are aliases
considered to belong to the same domain/server/SAM as the original
user?

TIA
  Michael Stockman
  pgmtekn-micke at algonet.se