Samba RPC 3.0/TNG Problem

Jens Skripczynski jens.skripczynski at igd.fhg.de
Mon Jan 17 17:45:59 GMT 2000

Hi,

Today i veryfied my configuration against TNG only environment and
got the following differnces:

works in tng but not int tng/3.0:
  (all the Errors are reportet by NT as RPC Errors (doesn't this error
  Message help !? :())
- The NT Domain Usermanager
   It is not possible to browse the Userdatabase from an NT Client using
   the 3.0/TNG combination. Using TNG only everything works.
   Luke: Give me a hint how and where to trace this.
         (Which logfile or what keyword (it does not segfault))
- Browsing the (Linux PDC) by the network window
   Using "networkneighbourhood"->"shadowland"(my PDC) fails.
   I cannot browse the shares. But I can connect to them.
   (e.g. net use ....)

works in 3.0 but not in tng/3.0
- The File Permission button
  (Right click on a file "properties" ->"?"
   "File Permissions" gives an RPC...)
   Kann someone off the HEAD Branch maybe try to solve this.

Ok general approach is to send in logfiles. But i dont want to send Megs of
Logs saying nothing. At most times it works for one part but the intersection
part has errors.

Childish Question:
Is it really so hard to merge them ? Wouldn't it be possible now with the
deamon Stuff just to merge 3.0 and tng into one tree ?
Or will they stay seperate for
- a max of one month
- min. a year
- forever ?

I (and i think others too) do need the advanced file serving of the 3.0 Branch
but do as well need the PDC funktionality of TNG...

P.S.: Has any reciptient enough knowledge of the rpcclient ?
      I would like to read some How to / abstract of what
      it is capable/usefull with some examples (I know X-Mas is over
      But Easter is next)...

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
E-Mail: skripi at igd.fhg.de

Computers are like airconditioners: They stop working
properly if you open windows.