Is this an old problem.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sun Jan 16 22:25:54 GMT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> That is, should we refresh the source?

most definitely.  certainly every time a cvs commit is done (subscribe to
samba-cvs).

but importantly, do that smbpasswd -a -m yoursambaserver _before_ doing
smbpasswd -j.

by they way... freedom is the name of the server, or the name of the
domain?  smbpasswd -j takes a DOMAINNAME not a servername.

> >freedom# smbpasswd -j FREEDOM
> >Unknown parameter encountered: "min passwd length"
> >Ignoring unknown parameter "min passwd length"
> >Joining Domain as PDC
> >socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed
> >error connecting to 216.183.2.2:445 (Connection refused)
> >failed session request
> >cli_net_use_add: connection failed
> >cli_nt_setup_creds: request challenge failed
> >2000/01/16 16:14:21 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> password for domain FREEDOM.
> >Unable to join domain FREEDOM.
>

> Regards
> -------
> Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
> Samba (Team member, www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member, www.zing.org)
> Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
> Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course

 ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals