still out of domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Fri Jan 14 17:54:26 GMT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Ulf Mehlig wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> I think I've sent a mail about not being able to join a domain
> yesterday, but at least I didn't receive it up to now. Once again: I
> downloaded yesterday evening's cvs branch SAMBA_TNG, compiled with
> "./configure.developer", deleted/emptied old stuff in .../private,
> started all those daemons and let my samba server (intel Linux 2.2.13)
> join the domain (smbpasswd -a -m pandora3; smbpasswd -j
> olymp). Afterwards I added the client (vmware: NT 4.0/SP5) to
> smbpasswd (smbpasswd -m -a pseudo).
>
> Unfortunately, the client still won't join the domain, complaining
> about "connection to domain controller not possible, have to ask your
> sys admin to check the domain account" (free translation from German
> NT's message). I'm not a big help in reading the 100' logs, the only
> thing that's odd to me is this (from log.pseudo):
>
>   domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user PSEUDO$
>                in domain OLYMP to  Domain controller \\..

yes, this is a connection on internal loopback from smbd using netlogond
to verify the user PSEUDO$.  which tells me that you have the wrong trust
account password (smbpasswd -m -a pseudo$ set the wrong password,
possibly).

ok, can you do a netmon trace, i need to see how far joining gets, and
also send an smb.conf file?  thx.