smbclient messages to a specific user ?

Dejan Ilic dejan.ilic at home.se
Fri Jan 14 17:17:03 GMT 2000

I browsed thru WinNT Terminal Server documentation and indeed there is a
new command included with it : "msg"

----- Terminal server online documentation excerpt
MSG
 Sends a message to a user or users.

SYNTAX
msg {username|sessionname|sessionid|@filename|*} [/server:servername]
[/time:seconds][/v][/w][message]

/server:servername
  specifies the Terminal Server. Otherwise, the current Terminal server is
  used.
-----

This seems to be an extension to the "net send" command and has the
possibility to send messages to a specific user, including specifying
another terminal server. It seems that at least TS-servers would be able to
send to correct users if we add support to smbclient.

Simple tests with sending message on the console shows that the message
sent with "msg" looks the same on the screen as "net send". I will have to
set up a second TS to see if it realy supports sending to a specific user
without disturbing the other users, but everything is pointing in that
direction and that Microsoft/Citrix found out the same problem when
programing TS.

I will try to get a network trace, but it will take a while as it is the
first time I'm doing it for Samba needs. Is there a easy howto on network
tracing SMB somewhere ?

I would be nice to include support for this in smbclient, besides
"broadcast messages" and a domain user (without specifying machinename ?)

 Dejan