TNG / inet_aton

Iain MacDonnell Dseven at Dseven.ORG
Thu Jan 13 22:37:58 GMT 2000

Cool - roaming profiles now work, and the code compiles without need for
inet_aton! THANKS!

Now, printing.. yup, it's not quite right. I can print, but only to a
printer that's already been added on the NT desktop. If I browse my server,
I don't see the services for my printers, where I did with the 12/12/1999
main-branch smbd. I suspect it may be something to do with this:

trust_password_lock: cannot open file /opt/samba-tng/private/DSEVEN.ORG.REDDWARF.mac - Error was No such file or directory.
trust_get_passwd: unable to open the trust account password file for trust REDDW

(reddwarf is the server, dseven.org is the domain) - I've seen some mention
of .mac files on the list recently, but haven't had time to look in detail.

One thing I did change in the code, which I *think* fixed a problem with
printing ... I noticed errors to the effect of "Running command
'lpstat -o<queue>' returned -1". I traced this to the following bit of
lib/smbrun.c :

        if ((pid=fork())) {
                int status=0;
                /* the parent just waits for the child to exit */
                if (sys_waitpid(pid,&status,0) != pid) {
                        DEBUG(2,("waitpid(%d) : %s\n",pid,strerror(errno)));
                        return -1;
                }
                return status;
        }

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about fork()ing, I had a look at this,
and waitpid(2), and decided that it was waiting on the wrong process - it
should be waiting on *children* of the main process to exit, not children
of the *child*. I changed it to:

                if (sys_waitpid(getpid(),&status,0) != pid) {

and the error went away! And I could print! As I say, I'm not familiar with
this sort of code, so I could be completely wrong, and just fluked getting
the print jobs though :)

Anyway, I hope this helps ... the server is Solaris 7, and I'm using SYSV
printing with "printcap name = lpstat".

:)

    ~Iain