WINS on SAMBA

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 22:28:21 GMT 2000

Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>
> > How does Samba WINS work? Does it just grab static mappings from the
> > /etc/lmhosts file and "cache" all WINS registrations?
>
> read rfc1001/1002 and a WINS article available in the resource kit or in
> the MS kb for background info. I don't remember the number.
>
> > Is WINS replication being worked on currently? (if not I might attempt
> > to watch a bunch of packets and see what I can see).
>
> replication runs on tcp/42. 2 opcodes.
>
> 1st one is an 'information' struct: delta time since last sync, how many
> entries since last time, highest wins entry id, ...
>
> 2nd one is a table containing {netbios names, ip addr, state, ttl, ip
> addr of wins server which first registered the entry} tuples.
>
>         J.F.

Thanks,

I have read the Microsoft KB article on WINS (I also have one on TCP/IP,
which is OK). What I wanted to know was, how does SAMBA treat WINS and
static entries. I figured it would follow the RFC, but given there is no
WINS Manager (I'm not complaining though), I was unsure as to how one
achieved static WINS entries. Also, if these are stored in a flat file (I
guess it's hardly going to be in the registry), is it possible to use the
special NetBIOS chars (stuff like <1B>, <1D> and things like that)?

Thanks,

Matt