WINS on SAMBA

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Thu Jan 13 22:12:25 GMT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Matthew Geddes wrote:

> How does Samba WINS work? Does it just grab static mappings from the
> /etc/lmhosts file and "cache" all WINS registrations?

read rfc1001/1002 and a WINS article available in the resource kit or in
the MS kb for background info. I don't remember the number.

> Is WINS replication being worked on currently? (if not I might attempt
> to watch a bunch of packets and see what I can see).

replication runs on tcp/42. 2 opcodes.

1st one is an 'information' struct: delta time since last sync, how many
entries since last time, highest wins entry id, ...

2nd one is a table containing {netbios names, ip addr, state, ttl, ip
addr of wins server which first registered the entry} tuples.

	J.F.