Domains and "username map"

CAE Samba Admin caesmb at lab2.cc.wmich.edu
Thu Jan 13 16:22:31 GMT 2000

Hello,

We're running a Samba 2.0.4b PDC whose domain we are trying to join some
Samba 2.0.6 machines into.  All of this is being done w/ Solaris 2.6.

Here is where things get tricky.  The Win95 machines that connect to the
Samba 2.0.6 "NT Workstation's" are primarily in a Novell envirionment.  As
such they try to connect to the samba boxen as their Novell login name.
We want to map novell usernames (for a limited number of accounts) to unix
usernames.  The idea is for a 95 machine to connect to a samba box, have
the novell username be mapped w/ "username map" to a unix name, and then
have that unix name be authenticated against the PDC (since the other
samba boxes are in the PDC's domain).  This seems simple enough, but it
doesn't work.  We don't want to maintain a smbpasswd file anywhere but the
PDC.  In fact, the smbpasswd file doesn't even exist on the samba domain
members.

If I try and connect with a valid username, the authentication
passes though fine.  If I try and connect with an aliased/mapped username
authentication doesn't work.  I get errors in the logs about both the unix
username and the novell username not existing in the smbpasswd file.  I am
assuming that this is the smbpasswd file that would contain local account
for the domain members.

Is it even possible to alias names on a domain member before
authentication gets passed to a PDC?

Thanks,

Kevin Currie