WINS on SAMBA

Jeremy Jones JJones at nwnets.com
Thu Jan 13 15:07:17 GMT 2000

Can a Samba WINS server not replicate with another Samba WINS server?  One
of the reasons to implement distributed WINS servers with NT is so that
clients on remote subnets will not need to send requests over a WAN link to
a remote WINS server.  It gets particularly important when VPNs are used
between remote sites over, say, 256K lines.  I really don't want floods of
WINS requests clogging up the links, but I could handle having WINS
databases moving over the lines every couple of hours.

Could the WINS database from a Samba server be pushed to a remote Samba
server by a non-Samba-specific method?

Thanks
Jeremy Jones, MA, MCSE, CCNA
Systems Analyst