"logon path" directive being ignored for roaming profiles w/ 2.0.6

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 13 13:47:03 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have what I think is a simple setup.  At the moment, I have Samba
2.0.6 installed on a FreeBSD 3.4 server, serving files and log on
requests to a Windows 98 (Second edition) client.  There are no NT
machines on this network.

Almost everything works fine.  Logging in to the Windows machine works,
using my Unix username and password.  Various shares that I have set up
work, I can print from the Windows host to an Epson printer on the FreeBSD
host, and so on.  All the tests in DIAGNOSIS.txt work.  I can go in to
the Network Neighbourhood and see the server, I don't need to explicitly
type it's name, or anything like that.

When logging in, the login dialog contains options for [user, password,
domain], and not just [user, password], as expected.

The only thing that doesn't work correctly is specifying the location
of the profile files.

When I log out from Windows, it insists on storing the profile data in
the top level of my home directory.  For example,

    /home/nik/Application Data
    /home/nik/Recent
    /home/nik/NetHood
    /home/nik/USER.DAT

and so on.

This seems to be contrary to the documentation, which suggests that a
subdirectory called 'profile' will be used.

I've only just noticed this problem.  Further investigation shows that
I do have a /home/nik/profile directory, with profile data in it.  However,
it has not been modified in some time -- I suspect it coincides with when
I upgraded from 2.0.3 to 2.0.6 about a month or so ago.

Nothing I do seems to stop this happening.  I tried adding the following
to the [global] section

      logon path = \\%N\%U\profile

(as well as the [homes] service, as described in DOMAIN.txt)

to no effect.  Following some threads on this mailing list, I tried adding

    [global]
      logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U.pds

    [profiles]
      comment = User profiles are stored here
      path = /usr/local/samba/lib/profiles
      read only = no
      create mask = 0750
      browseable = no
      locking = no

to no effect (although I can see the share from the Windows machine).
Obviously, I've created all the directories in these examples, and made
sure that I've stopped and restarted Samba each time I make a change.

I've been through DOMAIN.txt, and can't see that I'm missing anything.
I've trawled through the log files, looking for messages like "Can't
create /home/nik/profile" or similar, thinking it might be a permissions
problem, but I can't see anything that resembles that, and when I log in
to the Windows machine I get full read/write access to my Unix home
directory, as expected.

Appropriate excerpts from the smb.conf file are

  [global]
     workgroup = NGO
     os level = 34
     security = user
     preferred master = yes
     dns proxy = no
     wins support = yes
     domain logons = yes

  [homes]
     comment = Home directories
     browseable = yes
     writable = yes

  [netlogon]
     comment = Network logon service
     path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
     guest ok = yes
     writable = no
     share modes = no

I've ommitted logging options, socket options, and the other shares that
I have in that file.

I've worked through the mailing list archives and the documentation, but
haven't found anything that seems appropriate to this problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell