dificulties to log in domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jan 12 22:05:29 GMT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Mike Harris wrote:

> Luke,
>
> Okay, I'm going to update myself tonight .... what a life eh?
>
> Um ... I'm running smbd, nmbd, wkssvcd, srvsvcd, lsarpcd, samrd, netlogond,
> winregd, spollssd, svcctld ... okay that's basically everything!   What's
> samba-agent by the way? ....

smb-agent is a redirector, it operates like ssh-agent (it started the
daemon project!!!!)

if you run smb-agent, you can share it between your own processes (e.g, if
you are logged in as mike on two unix bash$ shells, you can run smb-agent
as a background daemon and then connect from _both_ unix bash$ shells to
the same smb-agent.

basically, smb-agent operates in _exactly_ the same way that "net use"
does on NT and 95.  it caches username / domain name / passwords, so that
if you don't specify a password when you run rpcclient, smbclient,
smbwrapper, smb-agent will supply one for you from its cache.

i want people to be able to run graphical pretty-front-end programs, such
as xregedit, without having to supply a username / domain name / password,
that's handled by smb-agent.

btw i haven't written xrededit, yet!