New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jan 12 19:38:54 GMT 2000

martin, thx very much.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Martin Kuhne wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. That's the proposed change:
>
> CAUSE
> =====
>
> When adding a Samba server configured as Primary Domain Controller to an
> existing Windows NT domain, there will be two PDCs in this domain. This is
> not allowed in Windows NT.

[you damn right it isn't!!!!]

personally, i would say, "This is not allowed in a Windows NT Domain
Environment".

> RESOLUTION
> ==========
>
> To restore PDC functionality, take the Samba server off the network and
> restart the netlogon service on the original Windows NT PDC.
>
> To resolve this problem, disable the domain controller functionality on the
> Samba server. This can be done by changing the following values

... ", to the manufacturer default values,"

> in the Samba
> configuration file (smb.conf):
> domain master = no
> domain logons = no

delete the "preferred master = no", it's to do with browsing, not LOGON
functionality, and will have no effect if it's changed or not changed.

an _alternative_ is to move the samba server to be a Domain Controller for
a different domain, for example:

workgroup = A_DIFFERENT_DOMAIN

which is the suggestion of one of the other KB articles that someone
quoted on samba-ntdom.

> For further information, please refer to the product documentation or to the
> manufacturer's web site (http://www.samba.org)

this can be http://samba.org (which i personally prefer) but it doesn't
make much odds either way.