New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Martin Kuhne mkuhne at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 12 16:34:27 GMT 2000

Thanks for the feedback. That's the proposed change:

CAUSE
=====

When adding a Samba server configured as Primary Domain Controller to an
existing Windows NT domain, there will be two PDCs in this domain. This is
not allowed in Windows NT.

RESOLUTION
==========

To restore PDC functionality, take the Samba server off the network and
restart the netlogon service on the original Windows NT PDC.

To resolve this problem, disable the domain controller functionality on the
Samba server. This can be done by changing the following values in the Samba
configuration file (smb.conf):
domain master = no
preferred master = no
domain logons = no

For further information, please refer to the product documentation or to the
manufacturer's web site (http://www.samba.org)

MORE INFORMATION

SAMBA is a third-party implementation of the SMB networking protocol used by
Windows NT.
<third party product information boilerplate>

Regards,
Martin
Microsoft GmbH