New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Jan 12 19:20:26 GMT 2000

Jeremy Jones wrote:

> It seems, however, that some on this list have animosity not only towards MS
> as a company and NT as an OS, but also towards those of us who administer NT
> networks.  If you'd like cooperation from NT admins, and are genuinely
> interested in the possibility of heterogeneous networking, why would you
> work so hard to alienate so many of the people you will more than likeley
> need to work with?  It is true that some of us--myself included--are not as
> technically adept with linux/unix as with NT.  These OSs require different
> skill sets and training.  If an NT admin has not heard of a file called
> "krb5.conf" it does not mean that the NT admin is an imbecil.  It means the
> NT admin is unfamiliar with configuring kerberos v5 on a Unix box.
>
> At least some NT admins are interested in interoperability.  And at least
> some of us are not complete morons.  Please keep this in mind.

*Very* good point. I have been watching this thread degenerate
into a "I hate Microsoft" rant (too busy to post anything as I'm
trying to get all the pending patches integrated for 2.0.7. I shouldn't
be posting this :-). Not very inspiring for anyone working with
NT on a daily basis (this includes me !).

Remember, Samba is an outreach tool to help NT and UNIX
interoperate (at least that's how I'd classify it). It's the
glue between UNIX and Windows. I always welcome the chance
to talk to Windows administrators because they are usually
very interested in improving their skillset and see Samba
running on a UNIX system as a good way to move their skills
into the higher paid UNIX world.

Microsoft Certified Professional magazine even commissioned
a front page article on Samba ! Let's help MCSE's to move into
the UNIX/Linux world. Remember, people tend to recommend what
they know, so spread the knowledge around :-).

Let's all just play nice on the same networks, and help
everyone to learn how to do the same.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.