New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Craig Kelley ink at inconnu.isu.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:58:33 GMT 2000

BTW:  When are the Samba lists going to become multipart-MIME in the
digest?  Every other list in the world is easy to browse in digest format,
but not the Samba ones.  :)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 samba-ntdom at samba.org wrote:

> Date:   Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:22:11 +1100
> From:   Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org>
> To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
> Subject: Re: New Microsoft Knowledgebase article
>
> this is because people xxxx up the samba installation by puttting "domain
> master = yes" and "domain logons = yes" when there's already a PDC on the
> network.
>
> anyone that's stupid enough to do this deserves to have their samba server
> switched off, as suggested by the KB article.
>
> it would be better if the article suggested the likely cause, which is
> that there are two PDCs on the network.  regardless of the fact that one
> of them is a samba server, you _cannot_ have two PDCs for the same domain.
> this is very easy to do if you do not bother to use the same WINS server
> or bother to use a WINS server at all.  so, like i said, anyone who is
> stupid enough to do this does not deserve to have _any_ computers on their
> network.
>
> can this be addressed, scott?  the KB article applies just as much to
> having two NT PDCs as it does to having mixed samba/nt pdcs.

I believe some of the blame lies with the company that decided "elections"
were a secure form of controlling your network browse lists (and hence
the keys to all your machines).

I wonder what genius came up with that idea.  :)