New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

David M. Davisson davisson at pfp.net
Wed Jan 12 15:57:27 GMT 2000

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> > 2. If yes to 1, who should we contact to try and educate them?
>
>         Several of us are going to be at the CIFS conference which is
> sponsored by Microsoft and attended by numerous Microsoft managers.
> They are rather sensitive to critism at that conference.  I was accused
> of flaming Paul Leach's boss over some DNS compatibility issues at the
> last conference.  It wasn't a flame (at least not by my standards) but
> it got their attention and feedback.  Since they are trying to play
> like they are cooperating and it's in front of dozens of companies who
> are trying to interoperate with Microsoft servers, then might be a good
> time to bring this up.

Well, I am a developer, just not in the Samba world.  I have found Samba
a godsend to solving interoperability issues in my network
administration.  So, would it be useful for those of you going to the
CIFS conference to gather the experiences of administrators using
Samba?  I would think that showing how Samba solves so many nagging
networking problems might be useful.

This DNS/netbios lookup issue is of particular importance.  Most NT
admins do not seem to have any idea about how important this is to
smooth netowrk operation.  In fact, ignorance seems to abound, netbios
names and DNS names seem synonymous to many.  Over the last 5 years and
three assistant domain administrators (NT certified in some cases), I
have had to hammer this issue home.  It seems every time I get a new
assistant I start finding client machines configured with the DNS domain
name set to the netbios domain name.

--
David M. Davisson
davisson at pfp.net