New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jan 12 15:47:30 GMT 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, David M. Davisson wrote:

> Paul Rogers wrote:
> >
> > Erm, do a search for linux on the M$ KB and read some of the articles!!
> >
> > Also here's one that is *particularly* relevant to this list:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q168/8/21.ASP
> >
> > Perhaps someone (like the powers that be) regarding samba could pop a polite
> > e-mail to M$ explaining the solutions to their problems? Perhaps they might
> > listen to someone with an e-mail address @samba.org???
>
> This is very interesting.  At least M$ is aware that there are problems
> with domain browsing and nmb lookups, even if they are in denial.  It is
> amazing how ignorant this article is about the basic underlying
> protocols.  Its resolution is absolutely wrong.  Samba when properly
> configured need not be the Master Browser.  It is, however, the _ONLY_
> way to tame and tune browser elections.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Will M$ even listen to the Samba community?

yes.

eventually.

maybe they'll even take our advice.  they _are_ starting to, but it's a
long process.  there are several thousand microsoft employees, after all.

> 2. If yes to 1, who should we contact to try and educate them?

there _are_ people monitoring the samba lists, as their customers often
complain to _them_ these days, if samba doesn't work with windows.