New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Jan 12 15:42:55 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 02:31:56AM +1100, David M. Davisson wrote:
> Paul Rogers wrote:

> > Erm, do a search for linux on the M$ KB and read some of the articles!!

> > Also here's one that is *particularly* relevant to this list:

> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q168/8/21.ASP

> > Perhaps someone (like the powers that be) regarding samba could pop a polite
> > e-mail to M$ explaining the solutions to their problems? Perhaps they might
> > listen to someone with an e-mail address @samba.org???

> This is very interesting.  At least M$ is aware that there are problems
> with domain browsing and nmb lookups, even if they are in denial.  It is
> amazing how ignorant this article is about the basic underlying
> protocols.  Its resolution is absolutely wrong.  Samba when properly
> configured need not be the Master Browser.  It is, however, the _ONLY_
> way to tame and tune browser elections.

> I have two questions:

> 1. Will M$ even listen to the Samba community?

	They have already.  Sometimes unwillingly, but they have listened to
some of us, particularly on security matters.  :->

> 2. If yes to 1, who should we contact to try and educate them?

	Several of us are going to be at the CIFS conference which is
sponsored by Microsoft and attended by numerous Microsoft managers.
They are rather sensitive to critism at that conference.  I was accused
of flaming Paul Leach's boss over some DNS compatibility issues at the
last conference.  It wasn't a flame (at least not by my standards) but
it got their attention and feedback.  Since they are trying to play
like they are cooperating and it's in front of dozens of companies who
are trying to interoperate with Microsoft servers, then might be a good
time to bring this up.

> --
> David M. Davisson
> davisson at pfp.net