New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Steve Cody SCody at Gulbrandsen.com
Wed Jan 12 15:40:16 GMT 2000

How about reading the post of Martin Kuhne [mkuhne at microsoft.com].........

-----Original Message-----
From: David M. Davisson [mailto:davisson at pfp.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 10:32 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Knowledgebase article

Paul Rogers wrote:

> Erm, do a search for linux on the M$ KB and read some of the articles!!
>
> Also here's one that is *particularly* relevant to this list:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q168/8/21.ASP
>
> Perhaps someone (like the powers that be) regarding samba could pop a
polite
> e-mail to M$ explaining the solutions to their problems? Perhaps they
might
> listen to someone with an e-mail address @samba.org???

This is very interesting.  At least M$ is aware that there are problems
with domain browsing and nmb lookups, even if they are in denial.  It is
amazing how ignorant this article is about the basic underlying
protocols.  Its resolution is absolutely wrong.  Samba when properly
configured need not be the Master Browser.  It is, however, the _ONLY_
way to tame and tune browser elections.

I have two questions:

1. Will M$ even listen to the Samba community?

2. If yes to 1, who should we contact to try and educate them?

--
David M. Davisson
davisson at pfp.net