rookie help, please

erik schlichting eriks at ci.conover.nc.us
Tue Jan 11 22:29:34 GMT 2000

Hi

I am the de-facto administrator of our city's Sun
box(Solaris 2.6). I know very little about networking. This
machine was set up with Samba(v1.9.18) by an administrator
that is no longer with the city. The rest of the city runs
on an NT network, which I know even less about. I have no
administrative rights or responsibilities on the NT network.

The UNIX box houses ArcInfo GIS files which are shared out
to NT users, who have limited accounts (no home directory)
on the sun machine. Not all the city's users have accounts
on the Sun.

Here's the problem: lately, the Sun machine has been getting
promoted to PDC daily, which of course causes havoc with the
users when they can't log in. The NT administrators can't
solve the problem (other than "It's Samba. you must bring it
down" or reboot their machine), and I don't know what to
tell them. I know this happened when Samba was first
installed, but then solved & went w/o a hitch for months.

Have others had this problem, and can you offer some advice?
Is it NT or Unix having troubles? Is it really Samba causing
the problem?

Thanks
--
Erik Schlichting