Samba as PDC

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jan 8 01:38:49 GMT 2000

> I have my Samba server on a machine that has a real IP address and want it
> to act as a PDC for machines on a different subset. What option do I need
> to add to smb.conf to make this happen? Thanks.

do the machines on the different subnet know how to reach your solaris
machine(ie: can they ping it?)

then you'll want to set the wins servers of the other machines to be the
ip of the samba server (unless they already have a wins server)

then:
turn on wins support in smb.conf
wins support = yes

if the other machines already have a wins server then you'll need to make
sure you're samba server is broadcasting its existence to the wins server.

-sv