Samba TNG - where is it broken? How can I fix it?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 23:58:49 GMT 2000

So far, so so. Using the "pure" TNG, not HEAD/TNG mix.

I get the occasional error message:

[2000/01/07 23:52:34, 1] lib/util.c:map_nt_and_unix_username(3634)
  map_nt_and_unix_username: NT->Unix map DISABLED
[2000/01/07 23:52:34, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(78)
  trust_password_lock: cannot open file
/usr/local/samba/private/MODEMS.GW.mac - Error was No such file or
directory.
[2000/01/07 23:52:34, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(239)
  trust_get_passwd: unable to open the trust account password file for
trust GW in domain MODEMS.

I have added the server itself to the domain as a trust account, but do
I have to join the domain (smbpasswd -j) to create the MAC file?

LDAP specific bits:

I haven't got any *huge* problems, but it seems a little bit of a step
down. I use the LDAP code, and I'm suddenly not a member of any of my
groups any more. It worked fine with the HEAD from november. I won't be
moving up for production use, but it will be interesting to develop
with.

The questions I have are:

1) When was TNG forked off from HEAD? If it was quite recently, how come
the TNG code seems in some ways less functional than the HEAD. I
wouldn't really expect functionality to disappear...

2) If TNG was (accidentally or on purpose) made less functional, what
are the major areas it was/is likely to be broken in?

Note I'm not complaining (although it sounds like I am, I know... :o) -
I'm offering to fix it, if that's sensible at this time. Specifically
the LDAP code, which I rely on.

On the whole, an improvement, but an "smbctl" program (like ndc, or
apachectl) is on my todo list now

Cheers,
Phil