Samba as PDC

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jan 7 20:46:34 GMT 2000

> I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I've never tried to alias IP
> addresses before. Is this something that can be done on the Solaris server
> I'm running? What I am planning to do is run each of my labs on a private
> subnet. Can I set up the server to listen to the IP address of the client
> or run completely seperate instances of smbd and nmbd?

solaris multiple ip aliases:

from the solaris faq

4.10) How can I have multiple addresses per interface?

Solaris 2.x provides a feature in ifconfig that allows having more than
one IP address per interfaces. Undocumented but existing prior to 2.5,
documented in 2.5 and
later.

Syntax:

        ifconfig IF:N ip-address up

where "IF" is an interface (e.g., le0) and N is a number between 1 and
<MAX>. Removing the pseudo interface and associated address is done with
"ifconfig IF:N 0.0.0.0
down".

As with physical interfaces, all you need to do is make the appropriate
/etc/hostname.IF:X file.

The maximum number of virtual interfaces, <MAX> above, is 255 in Solaris
releases prior to 2.6. Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 2.5.1 with the Solaris
Internet Server Supplement
(SISS) allow you to set this value with ndd, upto a hard maximum of 8192.

/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/ip ip_addrs_per_if 4000

There's no limit inspired by the code; so if you bring out adb you can
increase the maximum even further.

then with samba setup multiple instances of smbd and nmbd called with -s
[conf file location]
each only binding to one interface with the
interfaces=
and
bind interfaces only=yes
parameters

set a different domain for each and you should be on your way.

-sv