Windows Login Test tools

Stephen Seal sdseal at magma.ca
Fri Jan 7 18:59:58 GMT 2000

Hi everyone:

I'm hoping that someone on these lists can help.

I've been trying to find a test tool for Win95/98/NT that can help
diagnose problems with NT Domain login and authentication.  I'm hoping
that someone in the Samba community has a tool or knows where to find
a REALLY GOOD description/overview of the NT Domain login process.

Here's my problem scenario:  If a user (a non technical user I might
add) remotely connects to a network, and submits their
username/password to a PDC, they sometimes get the "very helpful"
Windows message "Cannot log in to the Domain" (or similar nonsense).
What can be done at this point to help diagnose this problem? There
appears to be no Windows tool to help resolve WHY they can't log in.

Can anyone help?

Frustratinly yours,
Steve