Can samba be in a domain & a workgroup at the same time?

Jankok, L. (dsc-pm) Lucio.Jankok at asz.nl
Fri Jan 7 08:48:04 GMT 2000

Hi,

A domain is a workgroup with centralized authentication. You can configure
your winnt clients to join a domain test and your win95/98 to join a
workgroup
test. Win95/98 can't join a domain the same way winnt does for it doesn't
support making a computer account in a domain. So for Win95/98 you will be
supplying the domain name in the workgroup field.
But if what you really want is a workgroup setup (no centralized
authentication)
and a pdc setup (centralized authentication) I think you can configure
multiple
instances of the samba server through your smb.conf, I don't have a smb.conf
to show you that but I can recall that I saw this documented somewhere.
cheers,

Lucio Jankok.