Combined use of samba cvs main and SAMBA_TNG

Lars Kneschke lk at NetUSE.DE
Wed Jan 5 17:35:45 GMT 2000

IT WORKS!!!! :-) Very nice! It's so cool! :-)

What i did:

Here is what i did(i'll create a webpage tomorrow):

1.) get samba from cvs (the mainbranch and branch SAMBA_TNG)
2.) "./configure" and "make" both, i did "configure
--prefix=/opt/samba-tng" because i liked it more
3.) "make install" in the SAMBA_TNG directory
4.) copy "smbd" and "nmbd" from the bin-directory in the
MAIN-sambatree
5.) make install doesn't create the <sambadir>/private directory,
create it
6.) create the file smbpasswd in this directory (touch smbpasswd)
7.) start all daemons from the <sambadir>/bin directory (i
started first smbd and nmbd, and then the others)
8.) create machine accounts, you need machine accounts for the
samba server and all win-nt workstations
    example for my server(the name of the server is weigon)
	useradd "weigon\$"
	smbpasswd -a -m weigon
9.) Now you can also add user accounts
	useradd user
	smbpasswd -a user

Now you can join the domain. After joining the domain win-nt must
reboot! (surprise! :-))

This is the important part from my smb.conf:
> > [global]
> > security = user
> > workgroup=lars
> > encrypt passwords = yes
> > logon script = login.bat
> > logon drive = u:
> > domain logons = yes
> > os level = 33
> > preferred master = yes
> > domain master = yes
> > wins support = yes
> >

> > Must i already add users at this step? or should i be able to join the
> > domain already?
>
> now you must also have a user in private/smbpasswd, just like you would
> for "encrypt passwords = yes" for 2.0.6 etc.
Yes, know! :-) But must there be users, while i want to join the
domain. I don't think so?

> > If we could make this running i would be able to create/maintain a
> > webpage, so other users must not ask this questions over and over.
>
> that would be very good.  i created a README, i will point it to a web
> page if you do one.
Tomorrow, i will create one. But now i must go home. SO bad! :-)

Cu
--
Lars Kneschke
NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH