Combined use of samba cvs main and SAMBA_TNG

Jens Skripczynski Skripi at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jan 5 10:59:43 GMT 2000

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
> finally!  a way to get the best of samba cvs main (development version
> 3.0, derived from the 2.0.x tree) and samba, the next generation (nt
> domains for unix project).
>
> it's really, really simple.
>
> download, compile and run samba cvs main's smbd, nmbd etc.
>
> download, compile and follow instructions in SAMBA_TNG branch's
> source/README file, *except*, do not run smbd and nmbd from SAMBA_TNG.
>
> the cvs main smbd will automatically check for the msrpc services running
> [from the SAMBA_TNG branch].  if it doesn't find them, cvs main smbd will
> fall back to using its own, internal msrpc code.
Hi,

I've got a small Problem with the Main Branch and TNG.
I cannot add my NT WK to the Domain running Main and TNG.

Yesterday on 04.01.2000 I downloaded the most recent version of both tree via
cvs. Compiled both.

I ran nmbd and smbd from the MAIN B..
And: srvsvcd wkssvcd lsarpcd samrd netlogond winregd spoolssd

Adding the Workstation sucessfully via:
smbpasswd -a -m tirnaorg

But trying to add the Workstation in the Network Preferences failed:
"No PDC for Privat found"....

Is it just impossible to add a WKS via the Main Branch or did i do sth.
wrong ?

Where can i examine in the Logfiles wether smbd is using the old MSRPC
or the new Deamon one ?

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski

E-Mail: skripi at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de

Computers are like airconditioners: They stop working
properly if you open windows.