Question about Samba

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Jan 2 06:02:40 GMT 2000

> Thanks for your suggestion. I want to make sure I understand it correctly.
> Are you suggesting running three seperate instances of smbd and nmbd each
> with its own configuration file using different ports on the machine?
> Thanks.

not different ports (as windows can't change the ports it requests its
info on) - just 3 different ips

So if you have a network: 192.168.0.0/24

you server has: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3

Each one has a different samba server bound to it using the following
directives in the smb.conf(s) you will write.
for 192.168.0.1:
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
bind interfaces only = yes

etc etc for the other 2.
I think you see.
I would suggest buying gerald carters book and/or buying the using samba
book - both explain this idea.
If you have any more questions about this just ask I'll be glad to answer
what I can.

-sv