TNG 0.7 - can't join domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 29 07:28:32 GMT 2000

you don't explain the exact procedure you are using.  null

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Michael Breuer wrote:

> Same as 0.6 ... network password is never correct.  I have log 100 &
> DEBUG_PASSWORD.  The log claims 'null' credentials.  The attempt to
> validate the password (smb) attempts to validate as 'root' (uid 0)
> from the 'null' data.  Needless to say, the check fails.  If anyone
> needs these logs (or pieces of them), let me know.

1) do you have a "root" account in the smbpasswd file?

2) are you using it in the network contril panel?

explain the exact procedure (i.e a series of steps you use to join the
domain) otherwise there's nothing anyone can do to help you, we can only
save or delete your message.

please, people, be more specific.  time and time and time and time again,
i have to repeat and repeat and repeat this: if your report doesn't
contain specific instructions and information, it's completely useless.

"i can't join the domain".

well, which domain?

how does it not join?

how are you _attempting_ to join?

did you type the username / password in the network control panel dialog?

did you know that you should do this?

does the  trust account already exist?

does the unix account (myworkstation$) exist?

are you using ldap, smbpasswd or samtdb or mysql or nt5ldap as the
password back-end?

these are just a _few_ of the issues i can think of when someone says, "i
can't join the domain", and i'm really sorry, michael, it's nothing
personal, but it's really exasperating to be repeating this quite so many
times [a day].  after three years, i'd have thought people would get it by
now.

never mind, please don't take this personally: i'm a little bit... hmmm...
stressed isn't quite the word.  transitional phase coming up, reduced
tolerance levels.

sorry ppl.

luke