Fwd: Re(2): Status of changing passwords from NT ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 29 07:06:40 GMT 2000

ok, i lied: i tested it with rpcclient, which is not the same thing :)  i
will try with 2.0.x rpcclient (next best thing) -- actually, i _can't_ do
that because SAMBA_2_0 rpcclient is broken, it will havbe to be cvs main
rpcclient.

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Anthony Brock wrote:

> Okay, I just tried it again, and received the following message:
>
> The User name or old password is incorrect.  Letters in passwords must be
> typed using the correct case.  Make sure that Caps Lock in not
> accidentally on.
>
> Hurrah!  This is the first time I have received a different message in
> several months.  However, it is obviously still not functioning correctly.
>  This is against a CVS update around 1:59 pm PST today.
>
> I am positive I am using the correct username (administrator, in this
> case) since NT 4.0 fills this parameter in automatically, as well as the
> domain.  The password is the same I just used to loggin to the domain
> with, and it allowed me access.  I have even logged in and out twice to be
> sure I am using the correct password (and Caps Lock is off).
>
> The workstation is an Intel NT 4.0 Workstation with Service Pack 6a
> applied.
>
> I am attaching the log files from my RedHat 6.1 box incase they are of any
> use.
>
> Tony
>
> >This occurs with every version we have updated to since I started looking
> >at the SAMBA_TNG branch.  The latest test was against CVS last Friday.  I
> >am including my smb.conf file below for reference.
> >
> >Just for confirmation, I will update against CVS again in a few minutes,
> >and see if it works.  The command I use to update with is:
> >
> >cvs update -r SAMBA_TNG -P -d
> >
> >Let me know if you have any thoughts.
> >
> >Tony
> >
> >*** include smb.conf ***
> ># Samba config file created using SWAT
> ># from host1.scg.com (10.0.0.2)
> ># Date: 2000/02/25 19:15:30
> >
> ># Global parameters
> >        workgroup = IT
> >        netbios name = WEB SERVER
> >        server string = Samba Server
> >        interfaces = 10.0.0.10/24
> >        encrypt passwords = Yes
> >        passwd chat = *ew*password* %n\n *ew*password* %n\n *updated*
> >        syslog = 0
> >        max log size = 50
> >        timestamp logs = Yes
> >        time server = Yes
> >        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >        domain group map = /opt/samba-tng/lib/domaingroup.map
> >        domain user map = /opt/samba-tng/lib/domainuser.map
> >        logon script = startup.bat
> >        logon drive = H:
> >        domain logons = Yes
> >        os level = 34
> >        preferred master = True
> >        domain master = True
> >        dns proxy = No
> >        wins support = Yes
> >        vfs option =
> >
> >[homes]
> >        comment = Home Directories
> >        read only = No
> >        browseable = No
> >        vfs option =
> >
> >[profiles]
> >        comment = Profile Share
> >        path = /export/shared/profiles
> >        read only = No
> >        create mask = 0700
> [...]

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals