Linux as an NT CLIENT

Mayers, P J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Sun Feb 27 11:28:25 GMT 2000

Do you mean at login: prompt time? In which case, if your system supports
pam, you can use pam_ntdom (hence luke's rather sparse reply).

If not, you might want to investigate smb-agent, which does the same thing
as ssh-agent - i.e. caches passwords. I don't know if pam_ntdom is
integrated with smb-agent (if it were, it would give you single signon) but
I doubt it. However, the code can't be the hardest thing in the world to
write.

But you need to be clear exactly what you mean, and how you're making Linux
an NT client. smbmount will allow you to mount smb shares, but there's a
program with Samba called smbsh, which uses a shell wrapper DSO to intercept
filesystem calls, and create the equivalent of a network neighbourhood.
Again, I don't know the state of integration between smb-agent, pam_ntdom
and smbsh. Luke?

Cheers,
Phil