pam_smb or pam_ntdom questions

Thien Vu thien at ac.housing.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 24 22:31:58 GMT 2000

I am running Redhat 6.0 on my workstations which triple boot into WinNT,
Win98, and Linux. Since both the Microsoft platforms log into my Samba
Domain, I would also like to use pam_smb or pam_ntdom to have the RH
machines log into the Samba server. I was wondering if there are any
problems with this because for any physical machine, it have the same name
under each platform. Will this cause any problems with the smbpasswd file?

Secondly, I've tried to have a test machine running Samba with domain
logons point to itself, using pam_smb and that doesn't seem to work at
all. I get to the logon prompt, but after entering in the username, the
logon screen resets and doesn't allow for a password to be entered. I have
configured the /etc/pam.d/login according to the docs.

According to the docs, you have to modify the /etc/hosts and add the name
of the Domain Controllers to the hosts, but the DNS and the WINS name of
the server are different, but I've put both the DNS and WINS name into the
/etc/hosts.

Thien