joining a domain works, but login fails

Pierre Hjalm pierre.hjalm at dis.uu.se
Wed Feb 23 14:01:26 GMT 2000

George Cameron writes:
 > > Hello Luke!
 > >
 > > I can join the domain, using the join dialog from
 > > networksettings(under windows nt). I have not created a
 > > workstation trustaccount with rpcclient before. I created a
 > > password entry for root in smbpasswd and created a unix user for
 > > the workstation. After that i was able to join the domain. But
 > > after reboot i was not able to login. The error message was:
 > > computer account does not exist or the password is
 > > wrong.(translated from german)
 > > I can't find something wrong in the log.files.
 >
 > Lars,
 >
 > Yes, I now get this too. I *think* there may be a bug in samedit where
 > it incorrectly uses pdc's username+password for the local machine, but
 > it works if they happen to be the same (and as long as you remember
 > to update your domainuser.map, which I hadn't!). But now that I've
 > got this to work (i.e. samedit succeeds), it still isn't accepting
 > a login to the domain.
 >

 > > If i use rpcclient as root, under solaris, i get a buserror and
 > > the size of rpcclient is zero. After that i can't use rpcclient
 > > anymore. Need to investigate this more.
 >
 > Yes I've found this too, also on Solaris 7/sparc . There seems to be
 > a problem in the code page code. If you comment out the call in
 > lib/cmd_interp.c :
 >
 > #if 0
 > 	codepage_initialise(lp_client_code_page());
 > #endif
 >
 > (line 1475 in my version, recently updated), the command line
 > programs should work again, and stop overwriting the binaries
 > with zero-length files :-o

Actually, it's a problem with the debugging/logging code. Someone (no
names) decided it would be a good idea to take the name for the log file
from argv[0]. That works if you happen to have rpcclient in your PATH but if
you have to start it by giving the whole path to it, it will overwrite
the binary. Another problem with this is that if you do have rpcclient
in your PATH but happen to stand in a directory with a directory named
rpcclient (like for example samba/source) rpcclient SIGSEGVs. This ought
to be fixed. Quite annoying.

--
  Pierre Hjälm, Systems Administrator
  Department of Information Science, Uppsala University, Sweden