TNG 0.5 - Still can't join W2K to domain...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 23 03:30:56 GMT 2000

> Perhaps I'm missing something?  (BTW: the dotted versions are never created... only the non-dot versions.  When I changed code to
> always use non dotted versions, the code complained that the pipes were not directories).  Also, for what it's worth, the log
> messages seem to indicate that during the attempt to validate the network ID, complain about <lockdir>/.msrpc/.lsarpc/agent and
> <lockdir>/.msrpc/.NETLOGON/agent not being found (or if I delete the dots, not being directories).  Note that <vardir> is after I
> changed the /tmp code.

don't worry about agents, that's redirector stuff that isn't active.

> Additional notes:
> 1) When I first ran 0.5, <DOMAIN>.SID and "MACHINE.SID" both existed... smbd didn't like this and crashed.  I moved "MACHINE.SID"
> out of the way, and now smbd runs.  Perhaps this was due to the former requirement to join your own domain?

this would have been because you ran tng, returned to 2.0.x, then ran tng.
this isn't ok, because 2.0.x recreates MACHINE.SID, and tng moves
MACHINE.SID to THESAMDATABASENAME.SID

> 2)  samedit installed in /usr/samba/bin doesn't work (just has a line
> complaining about missing codepage 000).  samedit in the compilation
> bin directory works.

hmm, there's a bug in the codepage stuff, fixed for 2.0.x.